I had to do some repair work today on my water butt, as in the winter the bricks that it was sat on sank and it smashed through the fence. I’ve buit a new wooden frame for two butts as a single one fills really quickly in winter and emptys just as quick in the summer.
I hope that the wooden frame is stong enough, I’ve used all recycled wood from various sources and wanted to try it before building a concrete base. I think that it’s pretty sound as I tested it the usual way, by jumping up and down on it, although with my skinny arse I don’t know if that makes a difference.
If it had been at the top of the garden then I would have made it as high as possible so that I could use a hose pipe or drip feed but it’s at the bottom so I just left enough room for the watering can and to put plant pots under.
All I need now is to attach a connector, from one to the other so when one is full it then overflows into the other, I think that was part of the problem with having one on it’s own as in winter it was always overflowing and possibly caused the bricks to shift. I ‘ll post pictures when it collapses and causes a mini tidal wave.